Bucharest

Bautista reaches the 100 victories on land in Bucharest

Ugo Carabelli and ComesaƱa also advanced second round this Tuesday

April 01, 2025

Tiriac Open presented by UniCredit Bank

Roberto Bautista Aguet has a 100-74 record on beaten land in the ATP Tour.
By Drafting ATP in Spanish

Although its competitive genetics carries the DNA that distinguishes Spanish tennis, the truth is that Roberto Bautista Aguet’s career has not cemented on the whipped land that has been so successful to his compatriots. Of course, this Tuesday at the Tiriac Open presented by Unicredit Bank he wrote a new milestone in his career on this surface.

The 36-year-old CastellĆ³n premiered his participation in Bucharest, tracing Bu Yunchaokete 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 in two hours and 52 minutes, a victory that serves to be a centenary in the reddish mantle with 100 games won in whipped land.

“I am very happy to have been able to win the game. It has been very hard, it gives me a lot of confidence in the beginning of the earth tour,” said the Spanish. “I had a complicated start of the year, it is never easy to close a game,” Baptist added. “My goal is to try to play the games like that, enjoy on the track and fight until the end to win as many games as possible.”

The standard head No. 5 broke a streak of three consecutive losses, after premiering its locker this season at the ATP 500 of Dubai against Fabian Marozsan. Since then, he gave in second round with Quentin Halys, while both in Indian Wells and Miami said goodbye to his debut against Damir Dzumhur and Jakub Mensik, respectively.

Now, the Spanish presents a 100-74 record in clay, a scenario that has granted two ATP Tour titles in Stuttgart 2014 (now played on grass) and in KiztbĆ¼hel 2022. He will try to continue increasing his numbers in search of the quarterfinals, for this he must overcome Francisco ComesaƱa.

The 24-year-old Argentine opened his way in Bucharest in a similar way to Bautista, turning a set against Martin Klizan 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 in two hours and 32 minutes. It will be the first duel that records the lexus atp head2head between them.

Camilo Ugo Carabelli supports a special responsibility on his shoulders this week. The Argentine, who had never left as a head of series in an ATP Tour tournament, competes as eighth favorite on the whipped land of Bucharest. Far from finding a double -edged sword in that condition, the South American responded impeccably on Tuesday, signing a debut that confirms it as an aspiring in Romania’s clay.

No. 63 of the PIF ATP Rankings rolled down to overcome a solid premiere, turning 6-4, 6-3 to veteran Radu Albot until you find the road to the round of 16. The Argentine completed an effort full of concentration to the rest, scratching 48% of the points in the return and advising up to four breaks to the European. If perseverance is one of the keys to dominate brick dust, Ugo Carabelli drew an absolute example by landing in Bucharest

The Argentine arrives at Tiriac Open after signing the best start of the season of his career. In a 2025 in which he signed his first two semifinals ATP Tour (Rio de Janeiro, Santiago) and his first ATP Masters 1000 victories, going from playing the previous phase to measure with Novak Djokovic in the third round of Miami, Ugo Carabelli seeks to continue growing on a clay tour that is presented at a time of sports splendor.

<a href=Camilo Ugo Carabelli” style=”width:100%;” src=”https://www.atptour.com/-/media/2024-images/news/2025/04/01/14/42/bucarest-2025-martes-ugo-carabelli.jpg”>

With the aim of continuing to cover his game, the Argentine will face an unprecedented duel in the round of 16 of Bucharest against the Austrian Filip Misolic, winner 6-3, 6-4 against Kazakh Alexander Shevchenko.

On a day full of action, the current champion Marton Fucsoovics, which defeated Italian Luca Nardi, also advanced to the second round. The Hungarian will reissue against the Argentine Mariano Navone the final played a year ago in Bucharest. In addition, the Australian Christopher O’Connell (6-4, 6-3 to Dusan Lajovic) and the Bosnian Damir Dzumhur (6-2, 6-1 to Valentin Vacherot) also accessed the round of 16.

It might also be interested: Navone still does not fail in its premiere in a land tournament in 2025

Bucharest’s Tiriac Open is one of the classic tournaments of the European whipped land tour, a springboard in one of the most demanding segments of the calendar. With more than 25 years of history, figures of enormous prestige such as Goran Ivanisevic, Thomas Muster, David Ferrer or Fernando Verdasco have been crowned on their tracks. Given enormous prestige in this section of the season, the event returned to the ATP Tour calendar in 2024.

Did you know what …?
Argentine tennis has a wide tradition in Bucharest’s beaten earth. Since the first edition held in 1993, three albiceleste players have managed to lift the individual champion trophy in the Romanian event. The deeds signed by Franco Davin (1994), JosĆ© Acasuso (2004) and Juan Ignacio Chela (2010) reflect the South American power in the tournament. In addition, figures such as Juan MartĆ­n del Potro (2009) and Mariano Navone (2024) also managed to climb to the individual final of the tournament.

Source: https://www.atptour.com/es/news/bucarest-2025-martes-primera-ronda



Leave a Reply